The Firm. Chapter 22 pp. 174-185

Posted on February 15, 2011 in The Firm by John Grisham by lnovak

Read Chapter 22 and express your opinion on the following:

-  Was Mitch a successful negotiator? Give your proofs.

- What did Tarrance mean when he said: “You’re clean as a whistle”,.. “I just need a quarterback”,.. “Don’t sell us short”,..

4 Responses to 'The Firm. Chapter 22 pp. 174-185'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'The Firm. Chapter 22 pp. 174-185'.

1.   Романюсик said,

on February 15th, 2011 at 11:46 am     

I think that Mich was doing good untill the end of the conversation when he spoiled everything. He began to talk in a wrong rude way with very influencial people and tryed to set up his rools.
    To be “a clean wisltle” means that the person is not involved in anything illegal.
    “Quaterback” is a position in American Football. This player makes long passes to players who are called “Wide receivers” and then they score or make a “touch down”. So I think when Tarrance said that he need a quaterback he ment that he needed Mitch to feed them with information and everything else they will do by themselves.
    To sell somebody short means to underestimate him. So when Tarrance said “don’t sell us short” he ment that Mitch better don’t underestimate them

2.   eleonora said,

on February 15th, 2011 at 11:47 am     

I think that Mitch was not very successful in the end of the talk, because Tarrance just said him that he has no other choice but only to work with the FBI. When Mitch said Tarrance that can flight away from the America tonight if he would not give him enough money for his work, Tarrance just told him that The firm or FBI will find him in a day and then he will have great problems…

“You’re clean as a whistle” – means that the person is not involved in anything illegal
    “I just need a quarterback” – means that the person needs to be informed
    “Don’t sell us short” – when we are cleverer then you think…

3.   Daria Khikhlia said,

on February 15th, 2011 at 11:50 am     

- I think Mitch was scared about this situation with the firm, so I think he was not a good negotiator. At first when he wanted to know what FBIers want from him, he wanted to negotiate. But when he knew all the detailes he became terrified and started to protest and make suggestions that suits him. At last he agreed to meet again with Tarrance in 2 weeks.

-Clean as a whistle, means that those from firm have nothing on Mitch and that is Mitch for now is a new one and not wasted.
    “Need a quaterback” that is someone who can hedge you.
    “Not sell shot” means that Mitch doesn’t realize what FBI can do.

4.   Justina said,

on February 15th, 2011 at 11:51 am     

To my mind Mitch is not very good negotiator because he was afraid of all this situation and it was difficult to him to agreed all conditions what FBI want.

When Tarrance said that Mitch is clean as a whistle,it means that mitch is clear,that they know about him everything and that he does not have nothing criminal in his life.”I just need a quarterback ” it means that he just need a person who will give him all information and Mitch was the best for this role,because he was scary and he does not know what to do.”Don’t sell us short” it means that Mitch shoul underestimate FBI.

Post a comment